WCD is the only global membership organization and community of women corporate directors. In this new era of responsibility, WCD is committed not just to good governance, but to governance with global vision. Smart boards are going global in members and mindset. Our members share information and insights in order to ensure best practices in corporate governance around the world.
In the 21st century, directors must not only develop a company’s global strategy, but also be vigilant watchdogs who understand the hidden challenges of working around the globe. Corporate Governance today demands a world view. Boards need the right leaders, to adequately analyze risk, to have the in depth knowledge of their companies’ operations, to help management to see beyond the next quarter to the bigger picture, regardless of the market. WCD is creating a network than can leverage local, regional, and global knowledge and perspective from other Directors and boards worldwide.
With over 2,500 members in 59 global chapters who serve on over 3,500 boards, WCD has served as a terrific catalyst for new thinking and networking. WCD has become a true champion for women directors and a vital source of expertise. Not only have we developed a trusted community for advice and experience to help women directors share best practices and learn from this valuable network, but we have also helped secure Board and Advisory Board positions for numerous women around the world.
WHO WE ARE
WCD is a rapidly-growing international community of women who serve on boards of directors. WCD was founded by Susan Stautberg the CEO of PartnerCom Corporation, which creates and manages Advisory Boards globally, and later joined by Alison Winter, former President and CEO, Personal Financial Services – Northeast for Northern Trust, and Director of Nordstrom, who became a Co-Founder. Henrietta Holsman Fore, Chairman of the Board and CEO of Holsman International, former Administrator of USAID, and Director of Exxon Mobil Corporation and Theravance, Inc., has joined as a Global Co-Chair.
Members serve as directors of both Global Stock Exchanges. WCD Members are usually very senior, influential executives (Chairmen, CEO’s, COO’s and other C-level executives). On average, each serves on 3-4 major corporate and/or non-profit boards. WCD’s standard is that 85% of women in WCD are directors of public or large private company boards. The other 15% have or will soon serve on public boards and currently serve on private, mutual funds or major non-profit boards. WCD’s Global Parnter - KPMG, WCD's Founding Partner - Heidrick & Struggles; WCD's Strategic Partners - Marriott International and Pearl Meyer & Partners; and WCD's Alliance Partners - IFC, JPMorgan Chase, and Northern Trust - provide experts in relevant areas of corporate governance, succession, executive search, finance, accounting, and the best in travel. (Some Chapters, such as Boston and Chicago, are 100% corporate directors, but others, such as DC have members who have left corporate boards to serve in major government roles.)
We are located across the globe in many major cities. For a full list of WCD Chapters, click here.
WCD dinners are held 3-4 times a year in each city. Due to travel and various scheduling conflicts, typically 25-35 women attend each dinner. Members are allowed to bring other corporate directors as guests. As Directors travel constantly, each chapter usually has members from other cities attending as well. Our Global Institutes, held in the Spring as well as our regional Institutes in the Fall and Winter attract directors from around the world.